Saturday, August 6, 2011

Back to School... Supplies.

Hey everybody!

Right now I'm sitting in my room anxiously awaiting my new friend's arrival so we can go School Supply shopping. We're both pretty stoked. (Ah new teachers, so full of joy, haha) She's only 15min away so I won't be here for too long but I just wanted to come in and comment on what's been happening!

I know I posted a few days ago about meetings and the like and mentioned the new teacher orientation. Well I've completed it now and I feel a bit more prepared about going into the classroom. I know that the first day is the most important of the whole year (though that always makes it the most frightening for me as a new teacher) and have been trying to plan for it accordingly. My main issue is that, knowing it's such an important day is making me dread doing anything for it! Everytime I think I know what I want to do I feel like I should do something different. I know that there's a lot on the line so I just want to be the best I can be. I want to give my students the best opportunity/learning experience I can.

I have 79 students for first term. Isn't that madness? 55 of them stay with me for the whole year because they're my precious little freshies. But I have at least two classes that continually rotate because I teach a different class every term (quarter). This term it's "Contemporary Fiction." It's a junior/senior elective so I was definitely expecting a small amount, say 13-15. Imagine my shock and awe when I looked at the roster to see there are 24! And there's a substantial number of boys in it too! I guess I assumed with it being a heavily reading intensive class I just would not see much of the male population. Hmph. Guess that's my fault for making assumptions early, huh?

These kids are teaching me something new and I haven't even met them yet. Ha.

Yeah, this is gonna be an interesting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment